Saturday, December 29, 2012

Truth about Moroccan Oil/Macadamia Oil *Must Read*



I've been on a fix my hair kick, with all the bleaching and dying I think it needs a whole new makeover. I have tons of split ends, and my hairs just super frizzy, and with all the raves and cheers these products get, I must say its something as women we lean towards.  *SKIP TO MOMENT OF TRUTH below for the TRUTH

"Expensive" and "Tiny Bottles" are two words came to mind when I saw these products at my local Trade Secrets store, I really wanted to buy the Oil, so I ended up buying the gift set by M academia Oil, which included a comb, sample of the macadamia deep repair mask, and full sized Shampoo and Healing Oil, this was all for about $40-50.  Great deal in my opinion when it comes to these brands.
 


I had picture day, so I hopped into the shower. I first removed all the previous gunk from my hair, with a watered down apple cider vinegar, then applied the shampoo, its actually not bad..but I wouldn't purchase it again. I get great results from Herbal Essences Yellow or Blue.
After Shampoo-ing my hair, I ripped open the Deep Repair Mask like a hungry piranha, and immediately noticed my hair felt a little dry after the shampoo. No problem, mask to the rescue!!!

I left the mask in my hair and got out of the shower, and periodically blow dried the mask for 30 minutes. I wanted to get the Salon results, so this is a great way to get it.

Results: My hair was downright AMAZING, smelled nice and was just so smooth and silky, I couldn't stop touching it.

The next day my hair was just as Stunning, As I styled my hair with a straightner, I could feel the extra silkiness come through, and it was glistening.

I raved about this product to my bestfriend for days, and on my mission to research more about the product, I found out some grimm detail. 


 I was initially so happy as my frizzy hair instantly transformed into the soft and shiny mane of my dreams. But I'm picky about what I put in my hair to keep it as healthy as possible, plus i hate relying on products to make my hair nice, I want to make it nice by giving it natural good food, not chemicals. I use products with chemicals as a treat, not an everyday thing.

Moment of Truth 

I looked up the Macadamia Oil and Moroccan oil ingredients to see how "healing" it really was,  And I was so disappointed when I discovered that the first three (!) ingredients in the list are all silicones! (Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone) No wonder my hair is shiny - I've put almost pure silicone in it!
 
 Cyclopentasiloxane I learned is not bio degradable or water soluble so to get it out of your hair you need a strong tenside (soap) - that will also dry out your hair. I also found long term silicone use can lead to your hair becoming brittle and may lead to breakage. I remember my hair stylist saying that the hair stays shiny also after you've washed it, thus testamenting to it actually doing good for your hair.

So it's mainly because because I haven't gotten rid of all of the silicone in this 'treatment' after washing. According to styleicons.com.au major brands like Moroccanoil only have 1 - 2% argan oil in their products. The rest is mostly silicone (ca 75%), artificial color, fragrances and preservatives. Basically you will suffocate your hair to death..hence the breakage
 

There's NOTHING   Natural or healing about any of these products, and these are SALON products, hence should be used once in a blue moon on special occasion like Weddings or Birthdays. I know people that religiously have been using this product, and when I told them about what this really is, they have taken it upon themselves to do research  and have refrained from using it as much as I can.


Solution:

 Stop trying to find a Quick Fix, they only work temporarily.. Put more emphasis on diet, stress and exercise, then paying money to look great. You can only use so many chemicals to look good.

The only thing that worked for me is actually Regular old Olive/Coconut/Almond Oil, its cheaper and all natural, I use it ALL over my body and my hair, and its been getting better and growing longer. I apply oil to my hair with egg for a treatment, and oil as a leave in conditioner and styling product *not too much ofcourse*. ;)